Like all home upgrades, each type of siding has its pros and cons, and metal is no exception; however, the advantages of metal siding far outweigh the cons.
Pros of Metal Siding
- Durability: Resistant to hail, fire, rain, snow, and strong winds, metal siding is perfect for properties in areas with harsh weather. It doesn’t just weather storms, though—metal siding is also resistant to peeling, cracking, and chipping.
- Longevity: With a lifespan of 50 years or more, your metal siding will pay for itself in saved maintenance and repair costs. The only other form of siding offering this kind of long-term protection is Hardie board siding.
- Easy Maintenance: Metal Siding requires minimal upkeep. You will only need to clean it once a year, and, in most cases, a simple wash with soap and a hosing down is enough to keep it healthy. In some cases, a pressure washer might be necessary; however, if you stay consistent with keeping it clean, this will likely not be necessary.
- Eco-Friendly: Sustainability is an attractive feature of metal siding. It is completely recyclable and does not require painting or harmful treatments that are bad for the environment.
Cons of Metal Siding
Metal siding is considerably more expensive than other, more common varieties, such as vinyl.
This is primarily because:
- We use the finest premium materials available, ensuring that your home will get the protection it deserves.
- The process of installing steel siding is specialized and delicate, requiring more labor and attention than the alternatives.
What Are the Differences Between Aluminum and Steel Siding?
While steel is more popular, aluminum can be a great choice in specific contexts requiring lightweight and corrosion resistance capabilities.
Here are some of the differences between them for better comparison:
Texture: Steel siding is known for its traditional hard lines, whereas aluminum has a softer wave pattern with an expanded profile design that adds depth to your home’s exterior.
Durability: Steel stands up to extreme weather conditions better than aluminum because of its strength and rigidity. On the other hand, aluminum siding doesn’t corrode easily or dent like steel.
Cost: Aluminum usually costs less than steel due to its thinner construction, making it an attractive choice for property owners on a budget. However, the cost difference might not always outweigh the benefits of using steel over aluminum.
Maintenance: You must clean steel and aluminum siding every year or so but for different reasons. Steel can oxidize over time, whereas aluminum needs cleaning mainly to remove dirt and potential staining from bird droppings or tree sap spills.
Eco-Friendliness: Steel wins here with its high recyclability rate, making it one of the more sustainable building materials out there. Aluminum has a lower recyclability rate due to its chemical composition, making it harder to break down into new material after use.
Styles/Options: You’ll have plenty of style choices for both steel and aluminum– from panels and shakes with their various thicknesses to trim pieces such as corner posts, window frames, etc. We will help you find something suitable no matter your desired look!
Local Metal Siding Contractors Serving the Minneapolis, St. Paul, and the Surrounding Metro
If you want your metal siding installation provided by a team with integrity, experience, and a great reputation for excellent work, consider hiring Crown Exteriors. We are fully transparent in our pricing structure and will never charge you hidden costs or talk you into something you do not need—we want what’s best for you and your home, and we are not interested in jeopardizing the faith you have in our team to make a buck. We know that you have no shortage of options when it comes to home service providers, so we make it a personal goal to stand out among the rest.
If you are unsure of what your home needs, we are happy to help. We can discuss your options with you and find one that perfectly suits your needs, style, and budget.
To schedule your free quote or to begin the process of having metal siding installed on your home, call us at (651) 401-8093 or contact us online.
We advocate for homeowners, like a lawyer advocates for a client in the courtroom. Let us be your trusted restoration services provider while delivering exceptional-workmanship, superior value and 100% satisfaction. Call for a free inspection to see what projects Crown Exteriors can get done for you.
Honesty and Integrity You Can Rely On
Lifetime Warranties for Products and Workmanship
No Money Down and Low-Interest Financing Options