When deciding whether or not it is time to replace your home's roof, you should consider a few key elements.
First and foremost, age is an essential factor. Your roof should last between 15 and 50 years, depending on the materials used to construct it.
Roof lifespans break down like this:
- Shingle roofs typically last 15-20 years.
- Cedar roofs have a lifespan of 30-50 years.
- Metal roofs, when properly maintained, can survive for 40-70 years.
Other factors to consider include the following:
- Sagging Roof: This could indicate a weakening frame or structure, leading to collapse if not addressed.
- Curled, Blistering, or Missing Shingles: These are signs of wear and tear that can cause considerable water damage to your home's interior.
- Damaged Flashing & Seals: Any cracks in the seals of your roof may allow water to seep through and weaken the overall strength of your roof.
- Moss & Algae Growth: If left unchecked, mold can quickly spread, potentially affecting your health and the integrity of your home.
- Sunlight Visible in Attic: If you notice light shining into certain parts of your attic, there could be gaps in the shingles, allowing air leakage leading to higher energy costs and potential pest infestations.
- The Roof is Not Energy-Efficient: If your roof is not energy-efficient, you could spend a lot on energy bills over time. A new roof can help you save money by keeping your home cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.
- Curb Appeal: A new roof can make a big difference in the appearance of your home. If you're considering selling your home, a new roof can make it more attractive to potential buyers.
If your roof requires more and more repairs as time goes on, you should consult a professional roofer. We can advise you on the next steps and help determine if a complete replacement is necessary.
How Long Does It Takes to Replace a Roof?
The amount of time it takes to replace a roof depends on several factors, including the size, type of roofing material, and weather conditions. Generally, we can replace a small asphalt roof in a day or two. A larger roof with a complex design may take several days or even a week or two to replace.
Factors that can affect the timeline of a roof replacement:
- Size of the Roof: The larger the roof, the longer it will take to replace.
- Type of Roofing Material: Some roofing materials are more challenging to work with than others. For example, asphalt roofs take less time to install than metal roofs.
- Weather: Roofing work can be difficult or impossible in wet or windy weather. Extreme temperatures can also affect the timeline.
Which Roofing Material Is Right for Me?
Asphalt shingles are the most popular roofing material due to their affordability and wide range of colors and textures. Asphalt shingles are made from fiberglass mats with asphalt coating, making them cost-effective and easy to install. They provide good weather protection but may be less effective against extreme temperatures or strong winds than more durable materials like metal.
Metal roofing is popular among homeowners due to its durability and long lifespan. Metal roofs come in many different styles and colors, making them an attractive option for exterior home design. They are also resistant to rot, fire, mildew, and pests and are thus a comparatively low-maintenance option in the long run. However, they can be more expensive than other roofing materials and noisy during hail storms.
Cedar shingle roofs are made from cedar wood cut into thin strips. Cedar has a naturally beautiful color that can add aesthetic value to your home. It also create sound insulation, reducing noise inside your home. Cedar also has natural oils that make it resistant to rot and insect infestations. To keep its natural beauty intact, cedar requires regular maintenance, such as staining or painting.
Before choosing any material, it's important to consult experienced professionals like ours at Crown Exteriors. We can guide you through all aspects of selecting a suitable roofing material based on climate conditions, approximate lifespan, and budget restrictions.
Warrantied Roof Replacement Services
For roofing replacement in the Twin Cities, as well as St. Paul and the surrounding areas, consider working with Crown Exteriors. Our team is fully licensed and certified with IKO, allowing us to offer exclusive warranties and high-quality materials. With 50 years of combined experience, you can rest assured that your roof replacement project is in good hands.
We advocate for homeowners, like a lawyer advocates for a client in the courtroom. Let us be your trusted restoration services provider while delivering exceptional-workmanship, superior value and 100% satisfaction. Call for a free inspection to see what projects Crown Exteriors can get done for you.
Honesty and Integrity You Can Rely On
Lifetime Warranties for Products and Workmanship
No Money Down and Low-Interest Financing Options